FAITH – HOPE - LOVEBible Drill: 1 Corinthians 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
- What was the topic of our first part of this three part series? Faith
- What was the topic from last week? Hope
- Who can guess what our topic is tonight based on 1 Corinthians 13:13? Love
- A profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person
- A feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child or friend
- God set the example of true love.
- Bible Drill: John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Bible Drill: John 15:13 – Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
- Bible Drill: Leviticus 19:18 Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.
- Bible Drill: Deuteronomy 6:5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
- In Mark 12:28-31, a teacher of the law questions Jesus. He asks “Which commandment is the greatest? Which is the most important?” Jesus answers “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and strength.” And second to that is “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
- Why would these 2 commands be most important?
- Think about it. If you follow these 2 commands, everything else should fall into place. If you love God, you are going to whatever you can to make him happy. You’re going to try to please Him. You aren’t going steal, lie, worship other gods, etc. Likewise, if you love your neighbor, you’re not going to try to take his stuff, steal his wife, or kill him. So I contend that these 2 commands are greater than all other commands on how to live like Christ, because by following these 2 rules, you will follow the other rules more consistently.
John the disciple teaches why we should love and how we should love in I John 4:7-21. (We read this passage to the group.)
Love Defined by God: I Corinthians 12:31b-13:13(We read this passage to the group.)
This is how we should live by faith, with hope and in love.