COLOSSIANS – Chapter 1:3-8
1. What book of the Bible are we reading? Colossians
2. Who wrote this book? Paul
3. To whom was it written? Believers in Colossae
4. Why was this book written? Gnostics claimed they had the supernatural knowledge necessary for salvation. Paul wrote to clear up the true identity of Jesus Christ and wrote against the false teachings of the day.
5. Who started the church in Colossae? EpaphrasColossians 1:3-8
3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,
4 because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints –
5 the faith and love that spring from the hope that is stored up for you in heaven and that you have already heard about in the word of truth, the gospel
6 that has come to you. All over the world this gospel is bearing fruit and growing, just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and understood God’s grace in all its truth.
7 You learned it from Epaphras, our dear fellow servant, who is a faithful minister of Christ on our behalf,
8 and who also told us of your love in the Spirit.
Questions to Ponder:
1. In vs. 3-4 Paul says we always thank God when we pray for you because of your faith and love.
a. Do people thank God for you having faith in Jesus Christ and loving others who also believe in Jesus Christ?
2. In vs. 6 Paul talks about the gospel being spread all over the world and how it still growing.
a. What is your role in the spreading of the gospel – the good news of Jesus Christ and salvation?
3. In vs. 7, Epaphras was known by the church as a “fellow servant” and a “faithful minister?”
a. What are you known by?
4. In vs. 8, Epaphras was a witness to (shared the news) of the church in Colossae. The news was not bad news that he shared, but the good news of how the church in Colossae lived in faith and love.
a. Who is your witness to the rest of the world? Who is speaking about you? What are they saying about you? Is it good or bad?
b. Are you sharing good news about those in your life? Or are you sharing bad news and gossip?