1. The word “work” is defined as
1.1. Exertion or effort directed to produce or accomplish something
1.2. A task or undertaking
1.3. Productive or operative activity
1.4. Employment especially as a means of earning ones livelihood
2. Now we’re going to do a little “work” or “workout”
2.1. Everyone get into the “plank” position and hold it for as long as you can
2.2. And the winner is? John (3 Laffy Taffy given to the winner)
3. America today seems to have developed a money for nothing mentality. The work ethic I see in many young people makes me wonder what this county will look like in 10-20 years. What I see and hear from teenagers is that they don’t want to work hard, but they want all the benefits of having worked hard. What this says to me is “I will NOT be hiring you any time soon.” If you want to get a good job, move up in that job, and hopefully get into something you’ll enjoy doing, work the way the Bible says to work. Let’s see what the Bible does say about work.
4. The word “work” including workmanship, works, worker, working and workman is listed 25 times in the concordance of my Bible.
5. Time to look at 6 of these instances
5.1. Ecclesiastes 5:19 – enjoying your work is a gift from God
5.2. Colossians 3:23 – work as if working for the Lord not men
5.3. I Thessalonians 5:12 – respect those who work hard among you
5.4. II Thessalonians 3:10 – no work = no eating
5.5. Luke 10:7 – the worker deserves his wages
5.6. I Timothy 5:18 – again… the worker deserves his wages
6. Let’s do the plank challenge again. This time keep in mind these 5 points…
6.1. Enjoying your work is a gift from God
6.2. Work as if you are working for God
6.3. Respect those working hard around you – for this game, this means no making fun of each other, no harassing, no name calling
6.4. If you don’t work, you don’t eat
6.5. A worker deserves his wages
7. And the winner is? John (First person out got 1 Laffy Taffy, 2nd got 2, and so on. Winner got Laffy Taffy and a chance in the mystery box.)
8. The next time someone asks you to help them whether you are getting paid or not, try to keep these Biblical principles about work in your mind.
9. End in prayer.