I Kings 3:12
I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be.
- God tells Solomon to ask for whatever he wants.
- Solomon could have asked for anything he wanted - riches, land, horses, cattle, houses - anything at all.
- BUT! Solomon asks for a discerning heart & the ability to tell right from wrong.
- Discerning = to judge well
- We often say Solomon asked for wisdom.
- God gives Solomon what he asked for and by being wise and following God, Solomon built a great kingdom.
- Sometimes it's hard to clearly see what is right and what is wrong. When your friends are all doing it or saying they are... when your teacher says "x" but your parents say "y"... when nothing is really making sense in life... Solomon's request is a great example for us.
- PRAY FOR WISDOM
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
- We live in a society that makes fun of others on a routine basis - a society that laughs at the gross, the embarrassing, and the wrong. It's all over YouTube, Facebook and Instagram.
- It's easy to fall into the pattern of behavior because it's all around us all of the time.
- BUT! This is not how God expects us to act.
- God tells us to speak kindly, build others up, and talk about good things.
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
- Just like in Ephesians, what we say needs to be pleasing to God.
- Just like we read in Philippians a couple of weeks back, what we think about or "meditate" on needs to be pleasing to God.
- When we consistently think on good things; good words come out of our mouths.
- Ask for wisdom to know right & wrong and have the ability to judge well.
- Speak kindly, build others up, and talk about godly things.
- Think about godly things and speak likewise.
Those theater kids.
Yes. Dodge ball again.