Mission Statement Making a difference in our community through Christian outreach in a fun and safe environment.

Purpose Statement Our primary purpose is to expand the knowledge of Christ among youth by setting a positive example and providing a safe place for recreation.

Vision Statement To be Washington's premier skatepark and recreational facility by providing each guest with a variety of activities in a friendly, affordable, Christian environment.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Bible Session Notes from 2-16-2015

The First Commandment
Adapted From: Ten to Grow On By Sandra Klaus
·     
        Review:
o   How many commandments are there? 10
o   The 10 Commandments are found in the Old Testament and many are repeated in the New Testament.  In the New Testament, the 10 Commandments are summed up in how many simple commands? 2
o   What are they?
§  Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind.
§  Love your neighbor as yourself.
o   What is the purpose of the Ten Commandments for us today? They help us please him and make us and those around us happy. 

·        Read Exodus 20:1-3

·        What is the first commandment? You shall have no other gods before me.

·        This means that nothing should be more important to us than God.  We shouldn’t worship God and anything else.  We shouldn’t worship God and money.  We shouldn’t worship God and people’s opinions of us.  We shouldn’t worship God and buddah.  We shouldn’t worship God and… you fill in the blank.
 
·        We should only have our eyes set on the one true and living God who created heaven and earth. No one came before him and no one will outlive him.  No one and nothing is greater than our God.  He deserves our worship and love.

·        Honoring, worshiping and loving God is the key to keeping the other 9 commandments.  If you truly have your eyes and heart focused on God, it makes not doing or doing the other 9 commandments so much easier. 

·        Why would we ever let anything become more important in our lives than God?  Maybe we get distracted and forget about God.  Maybe we get mad at God and stop listening to him.  Maybe we start looking at the things around us or the people around us, and those things and people become more important to us than God.  
o   Money
o   Work
o   Fun
o   Sports
o   Friends
o   Bad behavior

·        Sometimes we just choose to do what we want to do, no matter if it’s right or wrong, and that has now become more important than what God wants.  When we choose to do our own thing despite knowing what God says about it, then we are putting ourselves before God.  In essence, we are the “other god” that we are putting ahead of God in our own life.

·        The First Commandment clearly says that we should have no other gods before HIM, which means that NOTHING should be more important than God in our lives. The more we think about God, pray to God, listen to God, read His words in the Bible, and worship him by telling him in prayer, song, and our actions how wonderful He is, the easier it is to put him first. 

·        I’ve had a rough couple of weeks and I haven’t been gung ho chipper gal ready to take on the world.  This morning I realized that I had been trying to fix everything in my life on my own.  Yes, I’ve been praying and reading my Bible, but I’ve been “doing” the work of trying to figure everything out myself.  This morning I literally kneeled down with my face to the ground and just told God how wonderful He is and that I wanted Him to be in control.  I had become my own god by trying to fix everything myself.  I had failed at following the First Commandment! So, I told God I was sorry.  Guess what?  God forgave me.  Just like he does every time I mess up.  The Ten Commandments exist not as a measuring stick to see how well you are doing and whether or not you’re going to heaven or hell.  As we discussed last week, the Ten Commandments exist now to help us please God and make us, Him and those around us happier.  Today has been a much better day than any day of the past two weeks.  Praise Jesus!

·        What things have you made “other gods” in your life?

Bible Drill:
I John 2:15
Deuteronomy 6:5
Joshua 24:24
Joshua 22:5
Matthew 22:37
Mark 12:30
Luke 16:13
Deuteronomy 11:1
Deuteronomy 5:7
Luke 10:27

Joshua 23:11

No comments: