The Word Is a Lamp
· I read a quote awhile back that strikes me even today. It said, “The person with an unread Bible has no advantage over the person who doesn’t own one.”
· I have mentioned several times how blessed we are to live in a country where we are allowed to gather like this and talk about God and read our Bibles. According to the US Department of State International Religious Freedoms Report for 2013 (http://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/irf/religiousfreedom/index.htm#wrapper), there are more than 10 countries listed who are restricting religious activity, barring persons from religious meetings, actively harassing, beating and imprisoning followers of various religions. This is not just an assault on Christians but other religions as well. The point is you do NOT live in one of those countries listed!
· With that in mind, I ask you, are you taking advantage of the opportunity you have been given? Are you reading your Bible?
· Why read the Bible?
o God speaks to us when we read his word.
o This is how we can know what God wants us to do, how to behave, and how much he loves us.
o We get help in overcoming temptations. We become equipped to handle life.
o We discover God in a way that trains us how to share God with others
· Proverbs 6:23 For these commands and this teaching are a lamp to light the way ahead of you.
· Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (KJV)
· Ephesians 5:15-17 Be very careful, then, how you live – not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.
· Are you making the most of every opportunity? Do you understand what the Lord’s will is?
· I have spoken to you many times about spending time reading God’s word. ARE YOU DOING IT?
· Sometimes we don’t do what we know we should be doing, because we do not have the tools or directions we need to do it.
· Here is a simple daily Bible reading schedule you can follow. http://sandstreams.com/haven/character/daily/s1.html